Wednesday, May 18, 2011

SUMMER FABRICS

I'm getting ready to reupholster a vintage wing chair and asked my very stylish friend, Henriette about some of her favorite fabrics. Lucky for me (and you), she agreed to share some Scandinavian fabric finds, as well as some truly inspirational danish design sites. (Definitely worth checking these out!) Without further adieu, Henriette...

The lil bee
I grew up around fabric. My mom had an atelier [workshop/ studio] filled from floor to ceiling with textiles from all over the world; here she would spend hours a day making quilts and other beautiful things to fill our home. It was so inspiring to peruse the endless drawers of her color blocked fabric bundles. Unfortunately I never quite picked up the knack for quilt making but I remain fascinated by prints and patterns to this day. 
 Design*Sponge 
With the recent opening of the Marimekko shop inside Crate and Barrel in SOHO, I couldn’t be more excited! It feels like a piece of home right here in the Big Apple! I just love the freshness and simplicity of Scandinavian textile design, and being Danish myself I am often drawn to my fellow Vikings whenever I am on the hunt for new furniture or a fun new print or pattern. Right now, I have got my eyes on these bright pillows by Marimekko.  They would look great thrown onto a black vintage leather couch or on a freshly made bed.

 


IKEA is also a great place to buy textiles, at amazing prices too. I think this yellow print would make a fun table cloth for summer.
Slightly more up market, but a million times more inspiring than a trip to IKEA is the Purl Soho Fabric store, where one can easily spend an entire afternoon pulling out fabrics. If you’re not exactly sure what fabric to pick I love their pre-made bundles that you can pick up for about $30. 
I couldn’t resist this versatile blue and white printed rug from Sweden (It’s plastic!) How perfect would this be in a kitchen or kids room?

Here are a few of my favorite Scandinavian websites & blogs that I often browse for inspiration: 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis

Share |
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...