Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Shopping LA- PART 3 Vintage Stores

Yesterday definitely got away from me. As promised here is the final installation of my shopping trip in LA: vintage stores.

Finding vintage stores in LA is not tough, they're practically on every block, however finding vintage stores that are actually worth checking out is another story. With limited time in LA, I decided to get advice straight from the experts. At every vintage shop I stopped, I asked the owners what shops they liked for vintage. What I received was some great advice and a treasure trove of fantastic vintage stores around the city.

(Image courtesy of Surfing Cowboys)
Surfing Cowboys- Yes, I'm talking about this store twice, I love it that much. Unlike most vintage stores that are packed to the brim with items, Surfing Cowboys offers a carefully curated collection of finds. Vintage surf and skim boards are hung from the ceiling in an artful display. Old signs are mixed in among great mid century sofas. If you're looking for anything having to do with vintage surfing or skating, this is your place.
Bazar- I tried twice to go to this store while I was in Venice because the items in the window looked so cool, however the first time, they were "back in 15 minutes" and the second time they had closed early. While I never made it inside, peeking in the window this is definitely a place I'd like to check out in the future.

 (Image courtesy of Weego Home)
Weego Home- While not technically vintage, more interior design, I loved this store with all it's stylish, fun and bright home accessories. Among Jonathan Adler tabletop items, they sell Hable Construction pillows, which if available in orange would have been coming home in my suitcase. The owner of this shop told me to check out Empiric on Beverly Blvd.

Emperic Studio- Definitely one of my favorite vintage stores of the day, from the unusual, industrial vintage finds to the masculine styling, I loved just about everything in this store. Empiric has a great natural curiosities vibe with vintage and reproductions mixing happily together. As a bonus, this shop owner recommended a ton of great vintage stores along Beverly, La Brea and even showed me on a map where I needed to go next.
(Image courtesy of Modernica)
Modernica- Classic mid century items from shell chairs to George Nelson bubble lamps, this store has it all. They also have a huge collection of vintage items that they rent out for movies and TV shows. I was amazed at their collection of vibrant blown glass color blocked along the walls.

(Image courtesy of Apartment Therapy)
Gibson- I could probably spend hours poking around Gibson. Far from minimalist, Gibson stacks great one of a kind, vintage and mass produced finds on every surface. One wall is literally covered in carefully hung paintings from floor to ceiling. Definitely worth a visit just to find some cool, repurposed items.

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis

Share |
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...