Thursday, September 16, 2010

Collecting Dahlias...

One of my favorite flowers, dahlias have arrived in abundance at the farmer's market. The oversized blooms with their delightfully uneven edges feel romantic and bohemian. The moody reds, purples and oranges are a perfect usher into Fall.
(Image: nchoz's flickr stream)
During the season, I love wrapping up a bunch of the blush colored blooms in black tissue paper and ribbon for a dramatic hostess gift for a friend.

While researching dahlias, I ran across the blog, What Were the Skies Like which featured the fabulous Frances Palmer. Frances throws the most beautiful handmade pots and grows over 80 varieties of dahlias in her garden in Connecticut, many of which she uses to showcase her pottery.
(Images: Frances Palmer)
While I would love to own one of Frances' pots, I was initially drawn to the way she catalogs her dahlias at the height of the season. Her photographs combine two of my very favorite things: collections and flowers.

How fabulous would these be as a grouping of prints hung on the wall?

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis

Share |
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...